Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

On the Couch - stuff to read, and other...stuff - 10 April 2014

I haven't done one of these for a while but I was looking through my Twitter favourites - bookmarks for me, and just felt like it today.  Here's some stuff to read and watch for this bleh Thursday afternoon/evening. Well, it is here anyway.

Australian XCO Championships: Green & Gold 

Peta Mullens writes thrillingly here about her attempt to take back to back XCO National jerseys. What makes this story even more "wow" inducing is reading it knowing Peta was hitting the gutters on a roadie for Wiggle Honda in the Middle East only a month before, and a week later, was doing the same in the Netherlands. HARD. AS.
The gun fired. I clipped in fine for the tarmac start loop and moved myself up on-to second wheel behind Row, then nearly forgot to turn onto the fire trail! ‘Calm down Peta’.

Stromlo is calling - Skyline and Luge

Stromlo Forest Park put out this video profiling its Skyline and Luge trails. Looks awesome.




No Magic Wand

Bridie O'Donnell honestly shares her frustration and sadness as she watches the unambitious unconsciously waste their lives and thinks about the deaths of those who gave up everything to truly live. I want to write like Bridie when I grow up. 
"But their perspective is no less real, and certainly no less valid, I'm learning to be a better listener, hear their lives in context and quietly celebrate the extraordinary lives I'm privileged to witness." 

The Magic of the Ronde

The quote below from Gracie Elvin's write up of the Tour of Flanders for Cycling Tips says it all really. The Aussie National Jersey travelling over cobbles to cheers? Goosebumpy stuff. 
I rode solo up the Oude Kwaremont between the first and second group, and received the most amazing cheering. I looked up from the jagged biting road and took in as much of the atmosphere as I could enjoy through my pain. There were plenty of “Go Aussie!” cheers, and even a few yells of my own name. I couldn’t help but turn my grimace into a grin. I threw a bidon into the throng of revelers just to see their excited faces.

Boss of the Peloton: Ina Yoko Teutenberg 

I purchased a digital subbie from Peloton just so I could read Heidi Swift's story on Ina Yoko Teutenberg. (OK, so they eventually published it online, but hey, I'm not upset!) I love Heidi Swift's writing (another person I want to write like when I grow up) and she wrote an excellent piece about an excellent rider.  

Written for a uni assignment Chloe's piece  is equally well written and perhaps provides extra insight as she's a former teammate.
"Ina dismounts her bike, "hold this for me" she says to her teammate on her right and starts to push her way through the sea of bikes. If anyone can look tough in cleats and lycra it's Ina. 
Cyclocross 2013/14

Balint Hamvas is a fabulous cyclocross photographer. In this blog post, he tells the story behind self publishing books of his photography - a labour of love. It's an interesting read - AND, he's a past sponsor of #TDF133! You can order his books here.




No comments:

Post a Comment