Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Sexist Cycling





So I’m just a twelve year old girl. But my opinion still matters and I deserve to be heard.

I’m a fan of cycling. Simon Gerrans, Cadel Evans, Tour de France and the Giro d’Italia. I’ve heard about all that stuff and I’m a big fan. But today my dad has taught me something very shocking. So apparently women aren’t allowed to race the Tour de France?

Apparently, women aren’t as good and strong as men. But people are forgetting one thing. People are trying to get kids into cycling, right? But they forget: 50% of kids are girls. And if girls can’t see female cyclists on T.V. as much as the men, or hear cool news about them like we do with the men, well, I’m just going to say, "Screw cycling!" "I don’t want to become a cyclist when I’m older if I’m not going to be treated like an equal!" What kind of person wants to be treated like they’re inferior? Like they don’t matter as much as other people?

As a kid, I’ve had a taste of that feeling, and I do not want it when I’m older. Cycling used to be about fun. About being free. Feeling the wind go past you as you know nothing can worry you. You’re free.

Not anymore. How can you feel like you’re free when you’re being mistreated? How can you feel free when you’re not free? No one can be free when they aren’t being given equal rights. I thought our world had moved on from that sexist-against-women era.

But we’re still the same old people. So if women aren’t given equal rights, unemployed men should just go off and get a job. Because women can’t work. They have to cook, clean, and look after the kids while the men go off to work. We all agree that’s just plain stupid, right?

Then why not give women equal rights? Which brings me back to my original point: if women’s cycling get more publicity, more girls will want to become cyclists. Also, with more publicity, they will get more sponsors and stuff, so there will be more money to pay the female cyclists, which will attract more people to join. See?

Women need equal rights. And they can get it. If you let them try. I will continue to support women’s cycling, no matter what, especially my favourites, such as Bridie O’Donnell and Rochelle Gilmore, along with her whole team full of girls, the Wiggle Team. I hope you can help to raise awareness of this issue and help support it with me.

Guest blog post by, Kayla Beaconsfield










8 comments:

  1. Suscribe your words 100% Kayla, I'm not a woman so I can't see the things as you.

    But, it's clear that nowadays, there's still a poor cover on Girl's sports, which make your rights under men's rights.

    It puts more difficulties on improvement of women marks at sports, they receive less money and it can't be invested on make improvements at their sports...

    But the most important thing is relationed with gain rights. With the time them heve been get closed, but there're lot of difference and the fight can't stop.

    Your voices deserve to be heard.

    Regards,

    Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Kayla. Never stop speaking your mind and standing up for what you believe in.

    It's great to see you guest posting over here on Tour de Couch.....when can I get you to write an article for Loving the Bike?


    Darryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla..when you're writing like Bonnie Ford or Helen Thomas,don't forget the little people..i.e me and my little blog that could! xx Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank Rachel for blogging this for me. I will remember you :-) Thank you everyone for your support. Womens cycling needs to be given a fair chance.
    Kayla.

    Thank you Rachel for allowing Kaylas voice to be heard. We never expected the great response that this has generated. What began as a simple conversation with my daughter, has become something much bigger. Womens cycling, and many other womens sports, need better publicity. We hope this helps to make more sports equal.
    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayla! You are strong-willed, never forget your dreams of equality when you grow up! I'll be expecting to hear from you in a few years ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW , just WOW !

    This is coming from a 12yo , kicking " phat the rat & Cookers into TOUCH !

    Have tweeted this to some of the Movers & Shakers in Cycling and i strongly suggest that Chris Prudhomme gets off his butt before Kayla hits HIM out of the Tour de France !

    Those of you reading my blogs , will have seen skippi-cyclist.blogspot.com/womerracerscheated , that will be tame compared to what Kayla will say when she gets going again !

    Bravo !

    More please !

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you haven't read it, I would recommend to anyone the story of Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon with a race number. I know, wrong sport, but the point is, in 1967 most people didn't even believe it was physically possible for a woman to run 26 miles.

    Now because of the courage of Switzer and other women like her the women's marathon is up there beside the men's. It's revoltingly wrong that women only get to feature in the tour as podium girls. But things change.

    http://kathrineswitzer.com/about-kathrine/1967-boston-marathon-the-real-story/

    ReplyDelete