Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Cervelo yellow without Gerro?

(from Tour Prep Diary 24 June 2009)

I don’t think I could say much more on this shocking topic than what’s been covered here, and here. I will say – I was gutted. And not because of blind patriotism.

I was genuinely excited by this team’s early season form and was looking forward to watching not only Heinrich Haussler leading home Thor Husovd in the sprints but Gerrans riding for 2008 winner, Sastre ‘super domestique’ style, not a title Gerro still has to earn or to live up to. After an awesome Giro, this decision was not about form. And despite what many have said in some forums, Gerrans can climb. When it first broke, I could only think that maybe he didn’t go too well at Cervelo’s Team Time Trial camp as his bad news tweet came about a day after that.

These two quotes sum it up the best:

- from Cycling Central’s twitter page “comment of the day here @CyclingCentral "....maybe Simon needs to change his name to Jose Simon Gerranos."

- and Mike Tomalaris “Cervelo winning a stage or coming close to topping one of the Classifications will come as a huge surprise."

The last thing I will say is that Gerro’s taken it like a true pro cyclist, and watch out for him at the Vuelta.

No comments:

Post a Comment